The Office of School Health (OSH) is a joint program of the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and the Department of Education responsible for promoting the health of the 1.3 million school children enrolled in approximately 1,800 public and nonpublic schools in New York City. This is achieved through a combination of public health initiatives, case management, education and direct clinical services.
School physicians have been serving the students of NYC for over a century. For additional information regarding the role of the school health physician, please refer to the AAP Policy Statement http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/131/1/178.full.pdf .
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
Under the supervision of the Deputy Medical Director, the Supervising Medical Doctor’s responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Supervise School Health Physicians. • Work within the mandates, policies and protocols of the Office of School Health (OSH). • Attend to the health needs of a designated school community. • Utilize the Automated Student Health Record (ASHR) to maintain accurate student health records. • Serve as a consultant to the school nurse and school administrative staff regarding school related health concerns. • Support the development of school educational and prevention programs promoting the health and wellness of students. • Participate in policy development and revisions as indicated. • Provide clinical assistance in the event of an environmental or communicable disease occurrence. • Function as a liaison for students with community health providers to resolve health issues that affect school functioning. • Develop and maintain professional relationships within the school community and the community at large. • Support all medical initiatives put forth by the Office of School Health, e.g. Asthma, Reproductive health, Obesity and Diabetes Initiatives. • Keep abreast of health management policy statements and emerging research within the health community affecting school health. • Assist with or provide trainings/presentations to school health physicians, nurses, school staff, community organizations or parents • Participate in School Health research and quality improvement activities • Participate in all mandated DOHMH and Office of School Health trainings and professional development sessions • Attend all program meetings and Continuing Medical Education classes provided by the Office of School Health.
Minimum Qual Requirements:
Possession of a valid license to practice medicine in the State of New York; and either:
a) Valid Board Certification issued by the appropriate American Specialty Board in any specialty area required by the agency; or
b) Current approved application on file for admission to the certifying examination given by the appropriate American Specialty Board in any specialty area required by the agency.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualification requirements described above, one year of satisfactory experience practicing in the specialty area is required.
• Experience with clinical and/or administrative supervision of physicians
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in internet usage and computer software programs, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
• Board Certification in Pediatrics or Adolescent Health
• Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH)
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID # 280647, 280636 and/or 277026.
The New York City Health Department is known around the world as a center of bold innovation. With over 200 years of leadership in the field, we're also one of our nation's oldest public health agencies. The challenges we face range from obesity, diabetes and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction and substance abuse, and the threat of bioterrorism. We're tackling these issues with innovativ...e policies and programs – and getting exceptional results – but our work is never finished. Your NYC Health career brings big responsibilities and unparalleled opportunities for growth.