Quality Care Our Heroes DeserveNow is the time to take your career to the next level and become part of the high-caliber talent that is VA. Experience what 300,000 current VA employees already have state-of-the art practice settings, access to the latest technology, a multi-disciplinary team environment and the opportunity to provide the men and women who have bravely served this country with the finest patient care, benefits and customer satisfaction. And with VA Patient Satisfaction Scores leading the healthcare industry, youll be joining one of the most respected facilities in the Nation.
The Staff Physician (Emergency Department) reports directly to the Section Chief of the Emergency Department and is able to perform all services required in the practice of Emergency Medicine in the context of the VA system (the spectrum of patient illnesses typically seen in the Roudebush ED) and document appropriately in the electronic record. Educational experiences are also provided to appropriate health care personnel who are involved in ED care (e.g. admitting or consultative service team members such as fellows, residents, medical students, social work interns/staff, physician assistant and nursing students, Utilization management personnel, and Emergency Medical Services staff). Major duties include:
- Application of accepted protocols for assessment of individual patients presenting with various medical conditions according to accepted community and VA standards (pneumonia, Acute Chest Pain Syndrome, Congestive Heart Failure, abdominal pain, delirium, etc). Assessment may include gathering verbal and documented history, physical and mental status examination and medical, radiology, and laboratory evaluation.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic description or formulation to guide appropriate acute and secondary treatment interventions.
- Provision of medical care according to his/her privileges.
- Arranging for appropriate follow-up care for those patients who are discharged from the Emergency Department.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians are ultimately responsible for all aspects of medical care delivered to patients in the ED.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians provide or assist residents and/or the nurse practitioner in the process of evaluation and treatment of the ED patient, and actively participate in corrective actions against untoward responses to medical interventions.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians evaluate the patient to assess changes in the physical and mental status during their stay in the ED. A progress note is written in the patient's chart. Notes also include the concurrence with notes written by the resident or Nurse Practitioner, and attending notes as appropriate.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians perform outpatient medical evaluations and treatment.
- During scheduled tour hours, staff Emergency Medicine physicians shall be available for all emergency interventions as part of the ED staff team.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians are appropriately credentialed and privileged. They participate in various hospital committees, Medicine or Ambulatory Service and hospital in-service programs, and education programs of the Medicine Service and the hospital. They are also involved in continuous quality improvement through the VA peer review process.
- Staff Emergency Medicine physicians shall be responsible for outpatient care, and graduate and undergraduate medical education, and scientific research as appropriate.
Work Schedule:Variable tours of duty with rotating weekends and holidays Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Physician (Emergency Department), 000000
Bring your expertise to VA and be valued as part of a team that is recognized and respected for significant contributions to medicine. Youâ??ll enjoy a patient-focused environment, terrific benefits and incentives, and the ability to practice at any VA facility in the country.
Equal Opportunity Employer