Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Somali Medical Interpreter \(1\.0 FTE, Variable Shifts\) to work in Linguistic Services at Swedish First Hill in Seattle, WA\.
Provides accurate and impartial on\-site spoken language interpretation services requiring proficiency in oral and written English and the target language to assist Limited English Proficient \(LEP\) patients and SMC medical providers and personnel to ensure linguistically appropriate care\. Abides by organization and department standards as well as the National Code of Ethics for Interpreting in Healthcare\. Must pass a competency exam and skills assessment\.
In this position you will:
- Act as cultural broker and patient advocate where applicable
- Spoken Language interpretation \(in person, telephone, or VRI \(video remot interpretation\)\)
- Perform Sight translation, oral rendition of written test in one language to another, consecutive and simultaneous interpretation
- Translate written material and review back translation/editing as needed
- Maintain and update personal canlendar of assignments
- Place appointment reminder calls to patients
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School Dipoloma or GED or equivalent
- Certification or screening assessment by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services \(DSHS\) as a Medical Interpreter or equivalent
- Interpretation experience in a medical clinic or hospital setting
- Knowledgeable of medical terminology
- Excellent command of the English and target language and ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Professional experience with Micorosoft Office Software
- Continuing education and/or training in interpretation and translation competencies
About the First Hill Campus\.
The 697\-bed tertiary\-care center on the Swedish/First Hill campus is the flagship of the Swedish health\-care system\. Swedish/First Hill has one of the most active and advanced birthing programs in Washington state and houses a Level III neonatal intensive\-care unit\. More surgeries are performed each year at Swedish/First Hill than at any other facility in the region; volumes include more total joint replacements than any other medical center in the state\.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits — see our website for details
Our Non\-Profit Mission: Improve the health and well\-being of each person we serve\.
Since 1910, Swedish has been a hallmark of excellence\. Swedish has grown to become the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area with 11,000 employees, more than 2,800 physicians and 1,700 volunteers\. Swedish is committed to being the best place to receive care, and also the best place to work\. We reward our employees with generous compensation and benefits, individualized orientation, education and a supportive work environment\. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer\. Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law\.
Job Category: Administrative Support \(Clinical\)
Req ID: 133559